Thursday, March 5, 2009

"manure" in a cover letter?

I found an employment ad today that really caught my attention. (Sorry to those of you I see on Facebook... this will be a re-run!) The ad read:
“Farm and Dairy is seeking a full-time reporter to join its award-winning news team. We are looking for a wordsmith ready to tell the stories of the region's farm and rural communities. Responsibilities include some copy editing and photography. At least one year of experience preferred; must have journalism or related degree. Basic knowledge of AP style and agriculture required.”
I would love to write for a living. I love rural America and rural Americans. I think this would be a great job.

The problem, though, is that I am not exactly qualified. I have two degrees, but neither of them are even remotely related to journalism. My only year of experience is a year of blogging. I really don't know AP style. My agricultural knowledge stops at the edges of my backyard garden. But, if I have a knack for writing (and some say I do), I can learn all the rest, right?

I knew I couldn't really come up with a resume that would get me in the door for this one. I sent samples of my writing, but what good is that if I can't get the editor beyond the resume? So, I knew it was a long shot, but I would need to put all my creative writing skills into crafting a bold, attention-getting cover letter. That is my only hope on this one... and what do I have to lose?

Although I seriously hope for an interview, I will likely not get one. I had fun with the challenge of trying, though. Following is the body of the cover letter I sent to the editor of Farm and Dairy:

"Wordsmith. You seek one; I aspire to the title. I write, because they read. I have an eye for photography. I open my car windows for the smell of manure. If you’re willing to look slightly out of the box, I could be your next reporter.

I hold a Bachelor’s and a Master’s degree in a field unrelated to journalism. I possess strong human relations and communication skills, both written and verbal. I am a conscientious, accurate, and detail-oriented person, and I learn very quickly in a hands-on environment.

Having informally written as a sporadic hobby for many years, blogging has recently become my outlet for more regular writing. I have kept a personal blog of stories and memoirs for the past year, averaging 2-3 entries per week and 25-30 hits per day. Although not available to search engines, this blog has developed an international following. The attached samples are self-published blog entries.

Although I may not exactly fit the specified qualifications, if given an opportunity, I am confident that I can quickly learn what is necessary to excel as a reporter for Farm and Dairy. Anyone can obtain credentials. Not everyone has a passion for words, creativity and a good story. Which is the most important? Before you reach for the resume that is better credentialed than mine, let me leave you this: How many cover letters did you receive that tactfully (and truthfully) used the word “manure"... twice?"

5 comments:

Amy said...

Well done! I would give you an interview:) Haha. Best wishes.

Tami said...

Jeff,

This is great!!!!

To Farm and Dairy.....I've never read your publication before, but I would become a new subscriber just to read Jeff's articles!

I LOVE your closing sentence.

Praying you get a call:-).

Tam

jody said...

Well done!

Sharla M. said...

That is an OUTSTANDING cover letter! Can't wait to see what happens...saying a prayer for you!

Blessings...

David and Laurel said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.