Friday, March 19, 2010

Bus Driver, MOVE THAT BUS!

When we moved to this house, there was Dylan and Zachary, and I promised them a nice room. They moved into a temporary room. Then, we added Lily, and I promised them a nice room. Then, we added Benny, and I promised them a nice room. They moved into another temporary room. Tonight, after living in 3 out of 4 bedrooms in this house, they are finally tucked in and sound asleep in "their" room.

I finished up the last few details this week and today I moved their furniture in while they were at school. After waiting this long, I decided to have a little fun with "the reveal" (although my wife thought it was a little cheesy). We all enjoy watching Ty Pennington and the cast of ABC's "Extreme Makeover, Home Edition", so I had the door locked when they came home, and I took the whole family upstairs to the hallway. The boys were amused to find Benny's Leapfrog bus "parked" in front of the closed doorway. They chuckled, as we all said in unison,
"Bus Driver, MOVE THAT BUS"!

We stood in front of the closed bedroom door and, in the spirit of Ty Pennington, I gave them a little speech about my special project room and how much they deserved what was behind this door. I unlocked the door. They liked it! Here's your tour.

BEFORE

BEFORE

BEFORE

With pink walls and pink carpet, it was known as "the pink room", but it was the second largest bedroom and sizable enough to share.

Draftsman's view BEFORE

Here's an AFTER shot before furniture.

If you're interested in the technical, the drawings above illustrate that nearly every interior wall on the second floor has been/will be reframed and moved, and the brick chimney that ran through the center of the house has been removed. Although the home originally had four bedrooms, one was a walk-thru, rendering it fairly useless as an actual bedroom. The change of layout will allow the hallway to access all four rooms, privately, eliminating the walk-thru. Closets were reconfigured to be more useful and room sizes were adjusted, as well.

You may notice that in all my "finished" pictures (here and the bathroom) the electric is unfinished. My electrician did the rough-in, but still has to do the finish work. He will do it in a few stages, and will be in soon, after I get a little more of the second floor finished. We have a few "hot" outlets on the second floor to get by, for now, but will soon have real lighting, switches, and outlets.

AFTER with furniture (look quickly... it likely won't look like this for long!)


Closet and entry doors

Closet with Nerf hoop... my "room-warming" gift to Dylan and Zachary (which they have been warned they will lose if they get too rowdy)!
Draftsman's view AFTER

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

*like*