Shortly after leaving work, and while still rolling this lyric around in my head, another lyric to a familiar song caught my attention. In hearing the songs so close together, what caught my attention was the vast contrast between them. Following are lyric snippets of the two songs, with my emphasis added.
The first song is Breakeven, by The Script:
I'm still alive but I'm barely breathing,The second is To Know You, by Casting Crowns:
Just prayed to a god that I don't believe in,
'Cuz I got time while she got freedom,
'Cuz when a heart breaks
no it don't break even.
What am I supposed to do when the best part of me was always you
What am I supposed to say when I'm all choked up and you're OK
I'm falling to pieces
I'm falling to pieces
To know you is to never worry for my life,Actually, both songs represent empty lives, but do you see the contrast?
To know you is to never to give in or compromise
To know you is to want to tell the world about you
Cause I can't live without you
More than my next breath
More than life or death
All I'm reaching for, I live my life to know you more
I leave it all behind, you are all that satisfies
To know you is to want to know you more
To know you is to want to know you more
One is a prayer of the empty to be filled and fulfilled by the God worth believing in. The other, a prayer to "a god I don't believe in", is just... well, empty.
It begs the question, "which is the lyric of your life?"
No comments:
Post a Comment