Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Benny is three!

Ever met a three year-old who didn't want to open birthday presents?  I don't think I had... until last evening.

To be fair, Benny does not yet really grasp the concept of birthdays.  Presents do not have a big "wow" factor for him, either, because he is a very literal kid... if he can't see what's in the package, he has little interest in its contents.

Let me turn the clock back from this photo and set the stage.  His birthday was a school day for him, so he had put in a full day there (about 8 AM to 4:30 PM, counting the bus ride each way).  I got home from work about 6:30, so his birthday events took place in the evening.  He LOVES to be outside, and we had all just finished up dinner and homework, and headed outside.  To Benny, this translates something like, "It's been a REALLY long day, but I FINALLY get to do what I want to do!", which, at that moment, was run around the driveway pushing his coupe car, and having a Nerf sword fight with his older brothers.

Don't interrupt me for something like birthday presents... can't you see I'm busy?

So... back to the presents.  Once Mama helped get the wrapping started and he caught a glimpse of the package of cars and trucks inside, his interest was piqued.  Of course, once he got the cars and trucks out of the package, we started the cycle over with no interest any any other presents.

"cars! truck! bus!"

Nope, not really interested in the learning toy... just give me the cars and trucks!

Five new cars and trucks... happy guy!

A bus, just like Benny rides!

Here's an ornery face!

There's the Benny smile!

Three candles for the birthday boy!

We're working on forks and spoons... he prefers hands.

Using the fork, taking a BIG bite!

Playing cars with Grandpa

2 comments:

The Father of Five said...

Chiming in a little late here (busy with "automotive struggles").

Happy Birthday to your Benny! Looks like a good time was had by all!!

Dad Stuff said...

Happy Birthday Benny! I like to take big bites of cake and ice cream too.