My company is pretty proactive with various health initiatives throughout the year. Whatever they are doing must be working. My health insurance benefits commenced immediately, so I began paying my contribution toward the premium in September. October was our open enrollment period, so I had to re-select my coverage options, even though I had just made the selections a month before. Guess what... the premium decreased! Decreased! Yes, that's right, it got cheaper! What the heck...
So, proactive health initiatives look pretty good to me... sign me up!
It's a pretty cool setup. There is a data access point at the entrance of my building. Every time I walk past this access point, wearing my tracker, the data stored in the tracker is automatically transmitted and downloaded to my account on the GlobalFit website. I can log on at any time and see my activity and compare it against the average of the company participants. It's all automated... all I need to do is walk.
Cool... but, scary at the same time! I find myself wondering how else this technology could be used? Am I the only one that thinks this way? With all the technology that we carry around these days, what information about us does it contain, and who could potentially download our information "automatically"?
I'm pretty sure my step tracker is harmless fun... and I am having fun with it. The main company goal is 2,000,000 steps from July 11, 2011 to July 11, 2012. Since I was hired in September and got my tracker in January, I'm just a little behind... OK, I'm half a year behind. So, my personal challenge is to see how close I can get to the goal in just half the time. (I DO like to walk!)
1 comment:
Dude, are you sure you are not on home monitoring??? (Bwa-ha-ha-ha!!)
A lot of things are going this way – Auto insurance is starting to use similar little devices… Maybe George Orwell was on to something, eh? I’m with you though… If I had anything to worry about (like body disposal or something like that) – I’d be a bit more apprehensive, but since I’m a really a boring sort of guy and have nothing to hide (AND I can save a buck or two) I’d say “Strap me up baby”!!
Post a Comment