With the arrival of spring weather, Benny really wants to be outside! I enjoy walking, and often take walks around the neighborhood to unwind after work. He enjoys riding in the stroller (who wouldn't?), so the two of us (and sometimes some of the other kids), can often be seen strolling around town in the evenings. Benny has a certain park that he loves to go to, and the playground equipment there is just his size, so this is one of our favorite destinations.
If you spend any time with Benny, one thing that is obvious about him is that he is a social creature. He may not have an extensive vocabulary, and he really cannot engage in a conversation unless it is within a limited range of topics. (Even a simple question like, "what's your name?", gets lost on Benny). However, it doesn't matter if they understand him, or not, Benny will talk to anyone.
Anyone.
And therein lies the lesson.
I consider myself a pretty friendly guy. Yet, I am selectively friendly. I tend to size up people when I pass them on the sidewalk, and only give a friendly "hi" to those I deem as friendly, or receptive of my greeting. Not so with Benny... happy couple pushing a stroller, friendly looking grandfather-type, teenage lovers neckin' on the sidewalk, or heavily tattooed and pierced individual spewing profanity: all the same to Benny... people. And if people are in the vicinity of Benny, they usually can't escape his enthusiastic, "Hi!"
I sometimes cringe when he shouts out a greeting, but I think God smiles. I think Benny sees people much like God does, without stereotypes and preconceived ideas... just people.
I'm writing this for myself, but I suspect it applies to more than just me. Might the world be a better place if everyone saw people through eyes like Benny's?
1 comment:
One word answer. Yes.
I am jealous of Benny. I wish I do not have the view that I have on the world.
Post a Comment