Wednesday, June 25, 2014

the ride 2014

About this time last year, when Dylan and I finished The Ride, we didn't think we ever wanted to ride that far again.  A few days later, though, Dylan said he wanted to do it again this year.  A few times throughout the winter, he asked me about it, and I told him we would if schedules and weather cooperated... after all, it's not every day you get to spend a weekend alone with your teen son!

The summer schedule filled up fast, but I had my eye on June 21-22.  I checked with our overnight host from last year and the invitation was open again for this year.  The only unknown factor was the weather.  As the weekend drew closer, I was watching the weather and it looked doable... then daily the forecast improved as we got closer to the weekend!

Lets ride!

Ben was a bit upset that his trailer was in tow, filled with camping gear and not him!
 
We left a little later on Saturday than we originally planned (around noon), waiting for a little shower activity to clear.  Once that passed, the weekend was beautiful. 

One of my goals for this trip was to locate Stone Arch Bridge.  I was reading some information online about the trail, in preparation for the ride, and it stated that one of the main highlights of this trail was "Stone Arch Bridge".  It alluded to the fact that it was on the southern end of the trail, and you could best see it by riding about a quarter mile down the road at the nearby road crossing, but that was the only vague details I could find.  I scoured the internet and could find no other information about the location of this highlight, or the specific road crossing.  And, no photos seemed to exist on the internet to give me a reference. 

Now, we have ridden the southern end of this trail on numerous occasions, and last year we rode the entire trail... I would have thought if there was a Stone Arch Bridge, I'd know it.  Evidently not.  I scanned my memory for possible bridge locations and I did remember one particular area where the trail was elevated, but I didn't remember anything that indicated a bridge.  As we rode, I was looking for anything that might be said bridge.  When we got to the spot that I suspected, we stopped to investigate.  We were actually on the bridge, but didn't know it.  It was near a road crossing, so we picked a direction, rode around a bend, and wala... Stone Arch Bridge!

I suspect hundreds of people pedal over this beauty (as did I) and never know it exists!

Lunch at the wildlife refuge overlook
 
 
Rest break on Rock Creek Trestle
 
We rode the 41 miles to our campsite by 6 pm, dropped some gear, then headed out another 2.5 miles to the nearby Taco Bell for refueling.  Slamming down some Taco Bell tastes really good after pedalling over 40 miles to get there!
 
 
We then headed back the 2.5 miles (for a daily total of 46 miles) to set up our campsite.  We settled in and did a little reading until bedtime.
 
 
The Greenway Trail is a northeast Ohio gem that travels through...
 
bogs...
 
woods...
 
farms...

and dance halls, where you can grab a photo op with Willie Nelson!
 
The above shot took a few attempts, to which Dylan asked, "Dad, shouldn't we be getting back on the road again?"


Sunday was a 41 mile ride back to our starting point, for a weekend total of 87 miles.  We stopped for a few more rest breaks on the return trip, but still made good time, wrapping up a little after 4 pm.
 
 
At one of our rest breaks, I used the portable restroom at a trail staging area, and chuckled at a decal sign which proclaimed that the capacity of 1 unit was 10 workers.  I was glad it was Sunday and there were no workers... I think it would have been just a bit crowded!

 
Once again, we were tired enough to wonder why we did this, but we had a good time and made some memories. Would I do a three-peat next year? If Dylan's in, then I'm in!

1 comment:

The Father of Five said...

TEN workers in ONE porta-let??

This is the stuff of NIGHTMARES!!

Arrgghh!!

Seriously though - I am very jealous... This looks like SO MUCH FUN! After about a month or so, ask your son if you should start planning for "The Ride - Year 3"!!

Love the pics - very beautiful scenery