...and then, there were none.
While the world went about it's Monday morning business, there was little notice of the event. But, I, and those with whom I share a heritage and a last name, noticed. Each has their own reflections on the passing of my Great Aunt June. These are mine, and they center not so much on her as an individual, but on her as a member of a sibling group.
My Aunt June was the last surviving member of a great generation of eight siblings... an even split of four boys and four girls. The count is actually nine siblings... little Donna Dean died at the age of two. I only knew seven of them, and five of those more closely than the others. One brother died around the time I was born, but his widowed wife is remarried and to this day has rarely ever missed a family function (that ought to tell you something about this group!). Another brother lived in California and a sister in Florida. While I knew them, I was not as closely associated with them as the other five that were more local. My Great Aunt June, born in 1927, was the youngest of the sibling group. The eldest, Jerry, born in 1910, was my paternal Grandpa.
Glenn, Art, Jerry, Jim
Emily, June, Evelyn, Bernie
And, though I'm sure they had their faults and shortcomings, in my child-growing-into-adult eyes, at least, this sibling group of eight represented their generation well and lived up to every bit of that generational greatness.
To me, they seemed a very tight knit sibling group, though 17 years separated the eldest from the youngest. It's hard to get eight siblings, married with children and grandchildren, together at one time. But, at least twice each year they made an attempt with a large reunion in the summer and a second near Christmas. Of course, these were slightly simpler times when families were much less busy than they are today, but the family events were a priority of many. They were well attended, even as much as possible by the out-of-state siblings.
These events are favorite childhood memories of mine. As a kid, I was often doing "kid" things at these family events, yet I still remember being drawn to my Grandpa and these great aunts and uncles. Yes, I loved being with these folks. They were my family, of course, but I remember them as more than that.
These events are favorite childhood memories of mine. As a kid, I was often doing "kid" things at these family events, yet I still remember being drawn to my Grandpa and these great aunts and uncles. Yes, I loved being with these folks. They were my family, of course, but I remember them as more than that.
I remember them as having a zest for life that was infectious.
I remember them as laughing a lot when they were together.
I remember them as storytellers, the lot of them (and likely mild embellishers).
I remember them as siblings with friendly banter and camaraderie amongst them.
I remember them as lacking much of the family drama and tension that sometimes characterizes siblings.
Again, perhaps I'm idealizing the eight just a bit. But, if I am, don't tell me... this is how I want to remember them.
There was something these siblings had that not every one of their generation possessed... it was some sort of family trait, I think. The best way that I can describe it (and I think my relatives will relate), is that they lived with a mischievous twinkle in their eye and an ornery streak in their personality. At least I perceived them that way, and growing up in this family, it made them just a bit irresistible. I see bits and pieces of that family "twinkle" sprinkled through the succeeding generations, but not so collective and concentrated as they possessed it.
I don't come from a family heritage of wealth, power, fame or prestige. But, in some way, every one of these eight have made a favorable impression on me and I am a better person for having known them. As I take my place in their lineage, I do so with great pride. As the last of a great generation leaves this earth, I can say that it is an honor to share a name and a heritage with these eight folks.
So, goodbye Grandpa Jerry. Goodbye Glenn, Evelyn, Jim, Bernie, Art and Emily. And, Goodbye June. Though your generation is gone, you are not forgotten.
2 comments:
Powerful post.
I am sorry for your loss. Yet, in your words, memories, and how you live your life, they continue on in a legacy!
You honor them well my friend!
I doubt my own (16 year stretch) will ever be that close. They have alligned themselves generational, and by gender. 26 (kinda on his own). 19 & 17 year old boys stick together. 14 & 10 year old girls stick together. Rartly does one TRULY interact with the other without my intervening to make it happen. It makes me sad.
"But, if I am, don't tell me... " Another similarity. You have no idea how many tines I ALSO have said that about my grandparents and their siblings!! No lie. Very coincidental!
Being 1 of the 4 grandchildren of June, and thinking about her life and her passing, I have come to the same conclusions u have in this blog. Much more elloquent than i am with words, this seem to say how I feel about that generation and specifically that family of 8. Idealized... probably, maybe, dont wanna know either. All are gonna be missed, but cherished for the legacy they ALL left behind. Love you grandma June... grandson David A.
(Blog author's note: This comment was copied, edited only to remove last names, and re-posted in it's entirety. Author prefers no family last names in blog posts or comments for anonymity. Thanks for the meaningful comment, David!)
Post a Comment