Yesterday was warmer... I think it hit 20 degrees, but it was snowy and blustery. I stayed in the warmth of the house. Last night, I played a game of Risk with Dylan and Zachary that went into the morning hours and I made a premeditated decision to take a snow day from church. I did just that and when I awoke, I lingered in the warm bed and checked a few things on my phone before bursting forth from my cozy cocoon of flannel sheets and fleece blankets. And, that is when I formed my plan for the day.
On facebook, I noticed a post that the Winter Sports Center at Kendall Lake in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park (CVNP) was open today and renting cross county skis ($15) and snowshoes ($5). I have never snowshoed, but, being a lover of hiking, I have wanted to try it.
Yesterday's snowfall was mostly cleared from the roads, but still clinging in trees and sparkling like diamonds in the sunshine. The 20+ degree temps made it the perfect day for a cabin fever antidote. I checked with Jen to make sure my outing would not interfere with any other activities and then offered to take with me anyone in my house over the age of twelve and under the age of thirty-something (hey, somebody had to keep the littles), but, the two that fit that age category were not yet ready to burst forth from their cocoons.
So, I grabbed a backpack with some snacks, water and a variety of interchangeable layered clothing and headed out, getting on the trail a little before noon.
Surprisingly, with a nearly all day snowfall yesterday, by noon the hiking trails in the Valley were mostly all broken and packed. Technically, I wouldn't have needed snowshoes, but I did some experimenting with and without them, and even on the mostly packed trails, the snowshoes were an asset. I also made sure to do some snowshoeing where there was no trail at all, just to see what these things could do. I found them to still be tiring in untouched snow, but not nearly as tiring as when I walk in unbroken snow with just my hiking boots.
Lake Trail - 1 mile (I did about 3/4 mile)
Salt Run Trail - 3 1/4 miles
Forest Point Trail - 1/2 mile
(plus about 1/4 mile in an open field with no broken trail)






No comments:
Post a Comment