Sunday, December 6, 2015

WWJD?

What Would Jesus... Drive?


Ben often sneaks a car in a pocket when he goes out the door.  I casually patted him down as I was putting his coat on to go to church this morning, and I thought we were car free.  He's slick, though, and evidently the white Porsche 911 went to Sunday School with him, as evidenced by the new "custom" look.  It's too detailed for Ben's handiwork, so I knew there was something more to the story on this one. 

I asked Ben where the stickers came from.  

His response: "My teacher helped... it's the Jesus car."

I'm not sure Jesus would drive an older blinged-out Porsche 911 with a gold cross on the hood and gold star-shaped rims, but I love anything that has Ben talking about Jesus!  And, I love that the folks in his Sunday School class take the time and energy to meet Ben where he is and introduce Jesus in ways that may be just a little bit out of the box.

So... Jesus car, it is!

3 comments:

The Father of Five said...

This is a great story on a couple of levels - but, the one that gets to me is how cool the folks running that Sunday School are - I mean, to just "improvise" with him (I am assuming that they are familiar with his needs?) - and take what some would view as a "distraction" and to turn that into a lesson just for him - on his level... THAT is something special!!

Jeff said...

Indeed! You are correct. I hadn't fully processed that side of the story. This was a bit of a spur-of-the-moment post just before going to bed. But I was thinking maybe there was more to it than what I wrote. He now has a dedicated "buddy" that helps try to keep him on track in Sunday School. I'm guessing this may be her handiwork. I was pondering if I somehow needed to go back and develop the post more, but I think your comment nails it!

Jeff said...

I just did a simple edit to include this thought. Thanks for pointing it out, FoF!