I regret that I was never in my school band. For this reason, I have given a nudge in that direction for three of my kids. All three have followed that nudge and I've now been a proud band Dad for six years.
And, even though I've listened to my fair share of sour notes (times three) wafting through my house, I love the excitement of a newbie. I love the look of awe as they hold their very own instrument for the first time. I love seeing them invest the time to go from learning how to hold it to actually making music. And... with its occasional squeaks and screeches, I absolutely love the debut concert!
Lily has been working hard this school year to learn the trumpet. Her fifth grade debut concert was tonight. I had to take off work an hour early to make it on time, but I didn't want to miss it.
It always amazes me just how much kids can learn about music in only a portion of a school year. They sounded great and I'm really proud of the hard work Lily has invested. If she decides to stick with it (and I'm pretty sure she will), it's just two more years until she will be on the football field on fall Friday nights with the marching band!
Lily said she was a little nervous when she got up on the stage, but Mrs. C. made them giggle by whispering to them just before they started playing to pretend the audience was naked... oh my! Here's a sample of what fifth graders are capable of...
Great job Lily!
You did great tonight, Lily... once again making me a proud band Dad! Keep up the good work. You're my favorite Lily in the whole world!
No comments:
Post a Comment