Sunday, May 29, 2016

stoker

I've been taking Benny biking with me nearly since he was big enough to sit up independently.  Back in the days when the two older boys were younger and would routinely go biking with me, I bought a trailer to tow behind my bike so that Ben could join us.  It will hold two, so I towed both Ben and Lily a few times, but Lily soon was able to ride her own bike.  I would often ride with either Dylan and Zachary, who at the time could manage 15-18 miles on our local bikeways; or I would go with Lily, who could manage 10-12 miles.  But, the constant was that Benny ALWAYS wanted to go.

As the kids have gotten older and their interests have changed, they rarely want to ride with dad.  But, Benny has never turned down an opportunity to go, so it has often been just the two of us.

Two favorite memories stand out from the bike trailer years.  The first is the trip that he insisted that "Monkey" go with us.  We strapped Benny and Monkey into the trailer and away we went.  He was chattering to Monkey for miles while I pedaled... good times!

A boy and his monkey enjoying a ride!

The second memory was a time that he took a few (I think about four) Hot Wheels cars to occupy him in the trailer.  After a while, as I was pedaling down the paved bikeway, I heard something go "tink, tink, tink..." on the asphalt behind me and fading away as I rode.  A few moments later, "tink, tink, tink..."  What is that sound?  "tink, tink, tink..."  After about the third time, I finally suspected that we may be leaving a trail of Hot Wheels as we rode.  I turned around and rode my backtrail a little way.  Sure enough, there they were.  There was a small gap at the back corners of the trailer fabric, and Benny was chucking Hot Wheels out the gap!  We managed to retrieve all the cars... I think!

But, we are reaching the time when Ben has to squish himself into the trailer to go with me.  For several months, I have been pondering an alternative.  I don't want to stop taking him.  He loves to go on adventures with dad and I like hanging out with him.

Barely fits!

With Ben's developmental disabilities, it took him a long time to get the hang of operating pedals.  But, once he finally got it, he really goes!  His balance and coordination, though, is such that I questioned whether riding a traditional two-wheeler was something he would ever be able to master.  At the very end of last season I took the training wheels off... just for curiosity.  To my amazement, he figured it out pretty quickly!  I was thrilled!  Still, it was a very rough start, and the riding season was over... so, in the shed went the bike.  This spring when I got the bikes back out of the shed, he picked up where he left off, and really surprised me.  After riding in circles for a while on the driveway, I decided to venture out onto our fairly quiet street.  We rode a bit back and forth, then to a nearby church parking lot, where he really cranked it up (he likes going fast!).  He's a bit wobbly and we REALLY need to work on brakes... he tries them, but often panic stops (or tries to) with the toes of his sneakers against the asphalt.

I'm very encouraged, though!  I questioned if he would ever be able to ride independently with me, but I can completely see it as a possibility... eventually.  I still think it will be a while before he has the safe skills and endurance to go a bit with me on the bikeways. But, someday...

As an alternative to the trailer, I had been considering a buddy bike... a single wheel bike that adds onto an adult bike, making it a three-wheeled tandem.  I had doubts that he would safely sit up straight and stay on the bike, though.  However, when he surprised me with his mad two-wheel skills, I knew I had to try the buddy system.  I started checking CraigsList for a used one, but they were all a little more than I wanted to "risk", not knowing if the option would work.

Then, late last week, one popped up locally that was just what I was looking for at the price I was hoping for.  It was just a few miles from where I work, but I was pretty sure it would not last until I went back to work on Tuesday.  I emailed them and made arrangements to go pick it up Saturday morning.  Ben was staying overnight with his grandparents Friday night, so I couldn't wait for him to get home to see it.

Attached, adjusted, and ready to go!

When Ben got home Saturday evening, he was very excited about his surprise!  We took it out for a few trial spins around the neighborhood and it seemed like it would work.

First trial ride

When we got home from church today, Ben wanted to go to the bike trail!  (And, so did I!)  We loaded everything up and headed out...

Bike and a half!

Ready to ride!

It was a neat experience.  We rode 14 miles together, with him saying "hello" and "hi there" to every passing cyclist.  He felt so cool with his biking upgrade!  It was a bit wobbly, at times, but I was able to compensate for his unsteadiness.  The rider on the back of a tandem arrangement is known as the "stoker"... and for the first mile, or so, he REALLY was.  He was pedaling hard and I could actually feel  the power of the stoker.  A few times I reminded him to go a little easier so he didn't wear out.  After about a mile, he discovered that we went just as fast if he coasted... and there was a lot of coasting going on after that!  I didn't mind.  The trail is flat and I am used to towing him.  Every once in a while he would pedal a bit, but towing him isn't too hard on level and it's a better work out for dad.  Even if he is not pedaling, it is still great exercise for him.  Since a characteristic of IDIC 15 is lack of muscle tone, the action of sitting up straight and maintaining balance on the tandem is great to build core strength.

And, pedaling or not, as long as I'm able to tow my "stoker" I love having him along!  I'm excited about the next phase of our biking together!

1 comment:

Steve Z (swampboy62) said...

Excellent! What a nice set up. Should be good for lots of rides this summer.

Let Ben know that I love it when bicyclists say 'hello' on the trail. I feel like we're all a part of a big community of riders, and greeting one another is a nice part of that.

Steve Z