Saturday, March 18, 2017

How's your car-acter?

I have recently heard it suggested that character is somewhat linked to the vehicle you drive. More specifically, the character of your parenting is proportionate to the vehicle in which you choose to transport your kids.

Hmmm... if that is true, then I wonder what this says about me and my older, high mileage car?


I've been devoid of blog fodder for months, and sometimes l just need to write something... if for no other reason than the exercise of writing. This post may be just an exercise in writing... or not.  You decide...

'Tis a tale of two cars...

One of the best guys I know drives himself and his children in an older, high mileage car similar to this:


This is a fella who has become a solid friend to me... alas, like a brother to me. He has helped pull me through some difficult times and listens with an unbiased ear... which is a rare and valued car-acter trait. This is a man who loves his kids and loves his wife.  He is respected by his employer, co-workers and friends. Despite his "questionable" choice in family vehicles, I'd vouch for him any day as a solid parent and a man of car-acter.

By contrast, one of the sleaziest guys I know drives himself and his children in a late model, low mileage car similar to this:


Obviously, by his choice in cars, he is a man of car-acter who values family and safety of the ones he loves, right? Of course, it also shows that he cares about the safety of his mistress, if he ever were to transport her (or them, whatever may be the case).  Wait? WHAT? Yeah, this is a man who used to be a friend until, during one of our last conversations, he admitted to secretly having a mistress to survive his miserable life (that outwardly appears artificially near-perfect). No... unfortunately, he wasn't joking. His advice to help me through some difficult times was to do the same... find a mistress to soothe the rough edges of life. Despite his "excellent" choice in family vehicles, I'd vouch for him any day as a fraud to his kids and a man of NO car-acter.

A tale of two cars... seems to suggest that character and quality parenting have little to do with the vehicle in which you drive your family and a lot more to do with how that vehicle factors into managing finances and supporting those you love. So, if anyone is going to judge character by what is parked in a garage, then have at it. I don't have time to worry about such things!  

Now, excuse me while I put a wrap on this blog fodder and locate a muffler shop... yeah, mine's about to fall off!

1 comment:

Mike Myers said...

I think you're onto something. Perhaps the choice of car one drives has an inverse relationship to the choices one makes for his/her family? Those who choose to spend more on a car may spend less on those around him/her? Hmm.