Monday, July 10, 2017

a tomato named oscar

When I planted last summer's garden, I had a couple extra tomato plants. Lily asked if she could have one and if I had something in which to plant it. I found her an unused pot in the shed and helped her plant it. There were some marigold flowers in a styrofoam cup on the window sill that she had started from seed in Sunday School for a mother's day gift. Because they hadn't found a permanent home yet, she asked Jen if she could plant them, and we added them to her container.

We placed her container garden just off the side porch where it was easy to grab some tasty cherry tomatoes as they ripened. She tended her garden faithfully throughout the summer and enjoyed harvesting her very own tomatoes and seeing her flowers bloom.

Enter the 2017 garden season and, once again, a few tomato plants remained unplanted. I was busy and didn't think much about Lily's garden, but she spied the extra plants and asked, "where's my pot"?

I dug it back out of the shed and we potted one up together. Having no marigolds this year, she surveyed her pot and decided it would do, but she missed the flowers. Later that week, I popped into the nursery on my way home for a pack of marigolds. She was quite pleased that I bought her flowers and we added them to the pot.

After a few weeks, the little tomato really started to grow and she decided that since she had not yet convinced us to let her have a pet parakeet, a pet tomato would have to do!

And so, he became... Oscar!

With Lily's care, Oscar the tomato is thriving in his potted home among his marigold neighbors. I'm not sure, but I think Oscar may be on track to yield the first ripe cherry tomato of the season.  Great job Lily... and Oscar!  Here, boy... sit... stay... bloom... good tomato!

Oscar, the tomato

1 comment:

The Father of Five said...

Gardening is a lost art. Strive to keep that alive in her!

It's something my dad LOVES - and I was "eh" and "ho-hum" about - but as I get older - I find myself enjoying - and wishing I spent more time with my dad doing.