Monday, October 9, 2017

Ohio & Erie Canal ride 2017

When I was a much younger man, attending college in the early to mid-90's near the Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area (CVNRA), I once shoved books aside and spent most of a Saturday riding the Ohio and Erie Towpath Trail through "The Valley".  There was just a hair under 20 miles of continuous trail constructed then, From Botzum Farm to Lock 39.  At the time, I hadn't ridden a bike any distance to speak of (though I dreamed of doing so) and the 40 round-trip miles sounded a bit impossible.  Yet, I was compelled to see where it went, so I decided I would embark and ride until I felt I was half-tired and see how far I got before turning around.

I rode it all.

And, it was great!

And, it was miserable!

Purely speaking, you don't need fancy biking shorts and gloves to pad your hands and tush to ride distance-- I know and have met numerous riders that scoff at such things-- but it does make a ride much more enjoyable, and enjoyment is a good reason to ride.  So, after this experience, I bought a pair of each such luxuries.  My hands and tush never really got the chance to thank me, because life got busy and I went for years without ever riding anything that resembled 40 miles.

Fast forward several years and the park and I did some growing up.  CVNRA became the much more distinguished Cuyahoga Valley National Park (CVNP), and I started riding some distance again with a TOOL KIT!  Though the ride was without incident, I am appalled that I cranked out that first 40 mile day years ago (before the age of cell phones) without a so much as pump or patch!

My brother also lives a stone's throw from a canal towpath bike trail.  I'm jealous.  I have ridden a handful of times in either direction while at his house.  I knew it went considerably further in both directions than my recreational rides took me, but I never really investigated how far.  I was also pretty sure "his" trail was the same towpath I rode years ago with a sore tush and no tools.  I knew there had been sections of trail developments over the years between his house and CVNP, but I never really looked into it enough to see if it was continuous.  I never really considered it an option for a distance ride... until recently.

After buying a bit more equipment to ride multiple days on the GAP, and buying even a bit more equipment to go back to the GAP for a multiple day ride with Zachary, I began to think about other options for overnight rides.  I really thought riding all of the National Park section (because it's a National Park!) and extending to my brother's house (because it is free lodging!) would be more than a day's ride, even if it was a continuous trail. But, after a quick scan of Google Maps, I found it was a doable daily distance and it was continuous (or, so I thought... actually, there was about a 1/2 mile section in Akron that was not continuous and followed roads over a butt-kicking hill both directions).  I pitched it to Zachary for a fall weekend ride and he was in!

The long range forecast was questionable, but schedules worked out for this past weekend.  As the weekend approached, the forecast improved considerably, so we packed up and rode Saturday and Sunday... about 48 miles each direction, from the scenic railroad station at Rockside Road (Lock 39) to my brother's "bed and breakfast".


Starting at the Rockside Station of the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railrod, CVNP




Lunch stop on the porch of the Boston store in CVNP

Diorama of canal boat building, Boston, Ohio


Cuyahoga River, CVNP

Beaver Marsh, CVNP

The ride was a very unique contrast of National Park scenery and urban/industrial areas of downtown Akron and the greater Akron area.  I was very impressed with the way Akron has developed the trail through the downtown area.  I confess, I love Akron and the Akron area and it still feels like home.  I enjoyed seeing a different view of the city from the saddle of my bike.  Zachary is drawn to urban areas, and he was very impressed that this existed so relatively close to home.  He loved that a day's ride could take him through the beauty of a National Park and the trendy of urban revitalization.  Several times he commented that we must do this ride again!

Akron, Ohio

Ohio & Erie Canal trail through downtown Akron

Although I enjoy camping on bike tours, my brother's house bed and breakfast (it's really just a guest bedroom, but he did give us breakfast) was a nice luxury for this trip.  Between seven and eight miles from their house, we met my brother and my nephew riding in our direction, and they finished the ride with us.  Saturday's weather was a bit warm for October, and we pushed a pretty brisk headwind most of the day.  After 48 miles of pushing wind, we were pretty tired guys, and a shower, dinner, and a soft bed were very appreciated.  My parents showed up at his house for the evening, and we had a cookout and sat around the fire pit until Zachary and I turned in a little earlier than we normally would.  We woke refreshed and set out for our car, 48 miles up trail.

Return ride on Sunday

Tuscarawas River

Summit Lake, Akron, Ohio

Green space in downtown Akron, along remnants of the Ohio and Erie Canal

Very cool mural in the background

Connecting urban revitalization with Cuyahoga Valley National Park


The temperatures were more October-like and the wind was either non-existent, or slightly to our backs, and we very much enjoyed Sunday's ride.  Passing a Pizza shop on the backside of noon, we skipped our trail mix and jerky lunch for pizza and wings. We found a nearby picnic table and enjoyed a leisurely break, then pedaled back through the National Park, arriving at the car about 15 minutes before a light rain began.


Beaver Marsh... again


Cuyahoga River, CVNP


I'm finding it's not easy spending mutually enjoyable quality time with with my teen and pre-teen children.  Just yesterday, my "on this day" facebook feed featured the very first backpacking trip I took with my boys just seven short years ago.  They were in awe of carrying camping gear on their backs and living in the woods for two nights.  They loved it!  Now... meh... not so much.  Well, Dylan, anyway.  Zachary entertained the idea, then asked if we could take a bike ride instead... hence this trip.  I look for areas to stay engaged with all my kids, but I seem to find the most common interests (at this moment in time, anyway) with Zachary.  I'll take it.  The fact that he said he wants to do this weekend ride again encourages me, and I am already planning a 2018 GAP tour with him, which he says he is up for!  Love ya, kid, and though I was a bit out of shape for 96 miles in two days, I loved hanging out with you... and I don't do half bad for an old guy!

1 comment:

The Father of Five said...

I love your approach to these trips. They seem less "hardcore bike rider" than they are "minimalist father finding ways to share his interests with those of his children". It's commendable. Id trade copious amounts of $$ (in the form of overtime) to be able to do such things. I am (honestly) very jealous.

The views, and scenery (seen in the photos) appear breathtaking. Your trips inspire me to get my bike out and take some (much shorter) rides.

Thank you for sharing this experience with us sir!