Saturday, October 25, 2008

I am a statistic

When you hear in the news that unemployment claims are up, think of me. I have feared this day was coming, but hoped it wouldn't. My position as an architectural draftsman (residential) has been looking bleak for a while, as the economy spirals downward, taking with it the housing market. With loans harder to obtain, and new home starts way down, house plan sales are very depressed. Unfortunately, this means that I am no longer needed. I don't blame my employer. On the contrary, he has done all he possibly could to delay the inevitable, even to the point of deferring to me work that he would normally have done, just in an effort to try to keep me on long enough to ride out the storm. I have a few more days worth of work on my desk to wrap up, which will last me through most of next week. Next Friday, I will likely be packing my desk and Monday will likely find me in the unemployment line.

I must admit that this is a fearful time for me. As sole provider for my family (my recently larger family), this is a heavy weight upon my shoulders. The difficult part is that it's not just my job that 's gone. My field has temporarily evaporated. It will most likely return. Building will eventually pick up, but not in time for my family. Quite honestly, I'm not exactly sure what I will do. I hold a Master's Degree in Audiology, but after practicing just over 5 years, I was miserably unhappy. I left the field of Audiology 7 years ago, when a friend made me an offer to join him in his Architectural business, by training with him as a draftsman. During the 7 years I was with him, Jen and I made the decision to let my Audiology license lapse, with the intent that I would never go back to it (a decision that, even as I sit on the brink of unemployment, I still don't think I regret). This decision means that I cannot return to the field of Audiology. So, what does a middle-aged guy, with a useless Master's Degree and seven years experience in an unrelated and "dying" field, do when he grows up? That's what I am trying to figure out. The chances of finding something in my field are slim. I am not sure if I will try to find SOMETHING... ANYTHING that will pay the bills, or if I will look toward training for another field. I need to get a plan together pretty quickly.

I am sure there are lessons in this that I am to learn. I am hoping this will soon be better, and I can look back and testify how God carried us through. However, it seems easier for me to give Him credit on the backside of the storm, than it is to have faith going into the storm. Fortunately, our family tries to live by the principle of "margin". I have long been a student of Biblical financial stewardship and the teachings of the late Larry Burkett. I minister through my church as a volunteer budget counselor, trained by Crown Financial Ministries. I have taught other families the principles of budgeting, living within or below your means, living with little or no debt, and having emergency savings. I have lived by and proven these principles. They are about to be tested again. However, I don't think I have ever really proven the God of these principles. Even though they are Biblical principles, I often wrestle with whether I am trusting in Jeff and his ability to plan, budget, and save, or truly relying on God. I fear most of the time I am relying on me. Intellectually, I know that God is in control and that He is big enough to take care of my family. I also know that this didn't take Him by surprise. Even while we felt that He was leading us toward adoption, He knew this would happen, He knew how I would respond, and He knew the outcome. And yet, I want to "fix" it, as if I am in control. I know, though, that I need to rely on God, and it is a lesson that I don't want to have to learn the hard way. I am hoping that I didn't just enroll in "Hard Way 101".

I know that many people reading this blog are praying Christians, and I ask you to pray for wisdom and guidance for Jen and I, as we try to determine God's direction in this, and as we shift gears and try to put together a strategy. Pray that God will lead me in the proper direction to a job, training, career change, etc. Even though I enjoy my work, I have often found myself thinking that there surely must be something I could do with my life that would serve a greater purpose than drawing houses. Ultimately, I think I would enjoy either writing, or doing something that benefits or promotes orphans and adoption. I know nothing is impossible with God, but given my education and experience, this doesn't seem at all feasible-- at least not for putting food on the table in the near future.

Because this post is very personal, my pride and ego would rather I not post it. But, because I covet your prayers, I will post. My Captain has just turned on the "fasten seat belts" sign, there is turbulence ahead...

10 comments:

Cara said...

Jeff,
We'll be praying for you. We went through this same thing this spring and summer. Jason was let go the end of May and we were in the middle of the adoption process. As always, God provided and blessed us even more than we imagined. He is good, all the time! We'll pray for clarity and doors to open.

Jen said...

Jeff,
I'm so sorry to read this news. We'll be praying for your family.
Jennifer

Sharla M. said...

Dear Jeff and Jen,

Ugh...my heart is so heavy for you. We've walked this road before and I know how hard it is for both of you.

You will definitely be in my prayers... I would love permission to post a link to your blog on my blog. I love they way you live your faith and I think God will use this in a mighty way. In this economy, I think God will use you to inspire and encourage many...

Blessings,
Sharla
www.thehandsofthepotter.blogspot.com

Sharla M. said...

Hi...me either about the etiquette of posting other's blogs, but yes, I'm fine with anyone posting my blog.

Please do let Jen know that, from a wife whose walked in her shoes before, I will be praying for her peace and strength as well...

Blessings...

Jill said...

Jeff,

I'm so sorry to hear about your job. I've been there before, and God has always brought something better along, though it was definitely never in my timing. I will pray provision for you and your family, for peace and courage through the roller coaster ride (though you've experienced that ride before with adoption-land!), and direction in what He would have you do in the future.

Jill

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear your news. We will be thinking of you and your family. I'm sure you'll find something soon. I was unemployed for a month and think it was a great thing. I was able to spend more time with Ruby and Mike and catch up on the things that go undone for years. It can also be an exciting time because doors will open to new opportunties that are unexpected.

Amy said...

Jeff,
While I am not in the exact same situation, I find myself with worries so big that I have absolutely no power of my own to solve them. That is when we just have cry out to God and know that He listens. I was praying to God last night, "I don't know if I can trust the advice of XX, but I know I can trust You, so I will rely on You." You can trust and rely on Him, but you already know that don't you. :)

Amy said...

I'm sorry to hear this news. Please keep your head up!I'm sure there is a plan for you.

Jean said...

Jeff, I'm so sorry to hear of your job. We will be praying for you and your family in this time of uncertainty. God has a plan. The hard part is waiting to hear God whisper it to your heart.

Jean

Anonymous said...

We'll be praying for you and you can pray for us in return. I went three months this year without any pay and may or may not be getting paid in 2009 (or have any health insurance). It certainly is difficult these days, but we are certain that God will provide for our needs, as He always has.