Monday, October 20, 2008

I'd rather be...

...backpacking. I wouldn't call ourselves avid backpackers, but since my college days, I've tried to get out on the trail for a weekend or two each year. The past three Octobers, Jen and I have taken a weekend trip with our friends, Al and Beth. Due to a newly adopted daughter and a new baby, not to mention Beth breaking her arm when an SUV ran a red light a few weeks ago, neither couple were able to get out this year. Al and I talked about taking our sons on an introductory trip, but never got around to it. With the chill of autumn in the air; the trees ablaze in yellows, oranges, and reds; and the crunch of dried leaves on the ground; I have found myself missing my boots and pack, and longing for a great trail, a cool morning in a mummy bag, an Adirondack shelter, beef jerky, and trail mix! Here are a few shots from last year. Maybe next year...

3 comments:

Jill said...

Oh no - I'm sorry to hear about the broken arm! Just what she needs with a new baby and expanded family! Praying it heals quickly and completely.

Jeff said...

Jen's arm is fine... the broken arm belongs to our friend Beth! Thanks for your concern, though. You're right, that would not be a good thing right now!

Sharla M. said...

Just thought I'd say 'hi!' I've been following for a while, we came home right after your travel group with our 6 year old daughter, Abby. She knew Chloe Grace (Jennifer's daughter) in China so that's how I found your blog...we were with AHH also. I enjoy reading your thoughts...I loved the recent one, "Love Them Like Jesus."

Sharla
www.thehandsofthepotter.blogspot.com