Friday, November 7, 2008

dollars and scents

Yesterday, I needed to make a "man shopping" run. The boys were working on their lessons, so I asked Lily if she'd like to go with me. She thought she was cool to get to go with Daddy while the boys stayed home to do school.

I have never noticed her do this before, but I thought is was amusing. She, without prompt, kept a running commentary of smells! Here's how it went:
  • Home Depot garden center (scent: fertilizer), "Xiao Xiao no like." (waving hand in front of squinted nose)
  • Harbor Freight Tools (scent: an industrial, metallic, faint rubber smell), "Mmm, Xiao Xiao like." (breathing deeply)
  • Wal-Mart (scent: cutting through the candle aisle), "Mmm, Xiao Xiao like" (breathing deeply)
  • Outside Wal-Mart walking past the employee smoking area (scent: outdoor cigarette smoke), "Mmm, Xiao Xiao like." (breathing deeply)
  • Auto Zone (scent: oily, auto parts smell), "Xiao Xiao no like." (waving hand in front of squinted nose)
I enjoyed spending a few hours with her and her antics made me smile!

2 comments:

Jill said...

I'd worry about liking that cigarette smell. *hee, hee* Too cute...

Jen said...

Chloe Grace does that too!! She's always telling me if she thinks something smells bad (like when we took the dog to the vet) or if we're shopping near a restaurant & she can smell the food she always says it smells like french fries. I guess it's just part of learning their new world. Sounds like things are going well with Lilli. Hope your job search turns up something soon.