On the way home from work last Friday, I stopped at the Original Mattress Factory, where I have previously purchased five mattress sets. I brought home the sixth... a new twin set for Lily.
I was greeted by a salesman, named Bob. I recognized Bob, because I have dealt with him on past purchases. This was a pretty quick purchase. Since I already own three twin sets, I told him I wanted one more model like the twin sets I have purchased in the past. As he was looking me up in the computer to verify the model, he said, "I think I remember you... aren't you the guy that..."
I don't think Bob has a better than average memory... he just remembered me.
You see, about three years ago, Bob upset me, and I let him know it. Bob remembered.
But, there is a little more to this story. It was only a foggy memory to me, until Bob refreshed my memory as I purchased my mattress set.
The occasion he spoke of was when I purchased a twin mattress set for Benny's upgrade from the crib. My closest OMF location is two counties away. I called the store and spoke with Bob. I told him exactly what I wanted and verified that he had a set in stock, before I burned the gas and mileage to drive the distance to pick it up. I offered to give him a credit card over the phone to hold my purchase, as I didn't want to drive all the way there and go home with an empty van. He assured me that he always had that model in stock and a credit card purchase was unnecessary. I told him I would be in the next day.
The next day, I dropped the seats in the van and drove it to the OMF store. I walked in and told him my name and that I was there to purchase one of the mattress sets we spoke of on the phone the previous day. He sheepishly apologized and said that his store sold out of that model in the last 24 hours... a fluke that rarely happens.
I believed Bob. He seemed like a good guy and I'm pretty sure he was being straight up honest.
Still, I was upset.
I drove home with an empty van after taking steps to prevent that very thing.
But, not before I let him have it.
I was hot and I made a bit of a scene. I demanded to speak to his supervisor and I was not very nice about it. Nope, it was a bit ugly and I'm not proud of it. I had some justification, but I'm still not proud of it.
I had forgotten some of these details (or blocked them out of my memory), and I was somewhat embarrassed as we fast-forwarded three years and I was again sitting across the desk from Bob as he recounted the events from his memory.
I answered, "Yes, Bob, that was me that you remember. I must have been really difficult if you remember me three years later?"
His answer surprised me.
"No, that's really not why I remember you", he said, "what I remember is that you called me the next day and apologized for being too hard on me. In my work, that's unusual, and I'm glad you came back to my store today."
We completed the sale, loaded my van, and heartily shook hands as men who mutually respected each other.
I'm not extolling my virtues here. No, I messed up and it is actually a little embarrassing.
You see, why I'm writing this is that I think Bob and I both realized and respected each other's humanity. Humans make mistakes. Most mistakes can't be undone, but there is grace.
I don't know if Bob practices any form of faith, but God models grace for us. If we, as humans, mess up and are repentant (seeking forgiveness with true remorse), God promises to forgive us and restore our relationship with Him.
I realized (a day late) that Bob was a sincere salesperson and he was truly sorry that I was inconvenienced. I also realized that I was a jerk and it was really not Bob's fault. And, Bob took my apology by phone as sincere. Each of us messed up in some way three years ago, but there was mutual forgiveness.
Bob is virtually a stranger to me. Yet, it felt really good to shake his hand last Friday and feel mutual grace and forgiveness in action.
It made an impression on Bob three years ago. This post is evidence that it made an impression on me this past Friday.
Thanks, Bob, for the grace to remember my offense in light of my sincere apology!
No comments:
Post a Comment