14 years my 2001 Chevy Lumina served me, and never once did she leave me or any of my family stranded. She was a good one! Had the transmission not gone bad, I'd still be driving it.
End of the line... sniff, sniff
I'm not so much about the image of a car. I'm more about the function, utility, and durability. I tend to drive them until there is little left, so these factors are more important to me than whether the car makes me look good.
I actually tend to drive cars that are slightly on the plain side. When I was shopping for a car in 2001, I remember reading a review of the Lumina that referred to it as an "older person's car". But, those same reviews also used words like "reliable" and "durable". After researching cars, I decided a late model Lumina was the next car for my family and I bought a used one, just one year old.
Of the cars I've owned, I think I can honestly say that the Lumina has been my favorite car. From 2001 to 2008 it was our main family car, then it became our second car from 2008 to present. 14 years is the longest I have ever driven a car, and since my oldest child was just 18 months old when I purchased it, it is a car full of memories.
Yeah... memories. That's why it was hard to see that one roll out the driveway on a flatbed.
Here are just a few of the Lumina memories I could find in the family photos...
Multiple trips to OBX
Many camping trips, including this one to Alabama on spring break
Alabama to visit Jen's Grandpa
Camping trip to West Virginia
Backpacking trips



4 comments:
I'd say the Lumina served you well! Looks like a lot of good memories there. Of course the big question is what comes next?
Steph-- I already had a backup car... I acquired my parent's Saturn Ion when they replaced it. It's a high mileage car, but some life left in it.
Faithful indeed!
I have had a couple of those myself. Both as a child - (a 74 Ford Country Squire station wagon... I cried when my dad sold it to my uncle - and I made him promise me that if it dies, he will give me the dipstick to keep).
My first car - 1976 Ford Granada.
Most recently, the 2000 Saturn SL1 - we bought it from my sister in law. It was my car, then #2 of 5's car, then #3 of 5's car before giving up the ghost...
In much the same manner as you, I am ALL about the function over fashion of the vehicle. As much as I loved my pick up truck - having the family makes having a truck impractical. And now that crew cabs are much more prevalent - it's the gas mileage (and 50 mile a day commute) that keeps me from truck ownership...
Small, economic, reliable, PRACTICAL... Yup.
I've always wanted a truck, but it has never been practical. Outside of needing to pull a larger camper, I can't actually ever see one being practical. A car with a hitch and a lighter weight utility trailer seems to fit my lifestyle best... and maybe someday, a lightweight teardrop... or a VW van/camper!
Post a Comment