Thursday, December 11, 2008

Fra-gee-lay... must be Italian!

Are you familiar with the movie, A Christmas Story? If not, it is the one in which the main character, Ralphie, wants a Red Ryder BB gun for Christmas, but his mom says "you'll shoot your eye out". In the movie, Ralphie's old man (I don't like the term, but it's used in the movie) wins a "major award", which turns out to be this leg lamp. To the chagrin of Ralphie's mom, the old man proudly displays it in the front window of the family home.


Here is a photo of the front of our 1920's vintage home. Here's the dilemma: Although it doesn't look exactly like Ralphie's home, it is from the same era. I say the front living room window is the perfect place to display a replica of the old man's leg lamp. I think it would be a hoot! I want one for Christmas. Jen says, "no way"! I say, "you have no sense of humor". She says, "that's not humor, it's tacky". I say, "that's the point... that's what makes it humorous"!
In all fairness, I must tell you that this living room has never been inhabited since we have owned the home. It is the part of the home that I am renovating, and I am WAY behind schedule. We use a family room addition off the back as our current living room. I am very close to having it to the point that I can wire, insulate and drywall this area, and Jen longs for it to be finished and the Christmas tree displayed in the front window. And, she deserves that... at least for a few years... but, then would it be funny to put a leg lamp in the window? She still says, "absolutely not"! Any opinions?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

That depends.....would you only display it at Christmas time or all year round?! ;-) And yes, it is tacky. But also funny! I agree with BOTH of you, how's that?!
Tracy

Jen said...

I was going to say the same thing Tracy said...I agree with both of you! It is tacky & I'd feel the same way Jenny does if Steve tried to put that crazy lamp in our front window. But, since it's your house we're talking about, it is terribly funny!! Maybe she'll change her mind in a few years. By the way, your house is just beautiful! I love it!

Sharla M. said...

LOL!! I have to say though, I'm with Jen on this one!! You and my husband would get along great!!

Jean said...

I'm with Jen ~ NO leg lamp in the window .... ever!

Funny though.

Kay Bratt said...

I would compromise and the leg lamp could have it's 15 minutes of fame...

Anonymous said...

I think you and Mike are more alike than we realize. I can see him trying something like this.I'm with Jen...NO WAY!!

RachelT said...

I'm going to have to go with Jenny on this one. Even though it does sound hilarious!!! I wouldn't want a leg lamp in my front window. Sorry Jeff. :)

Anonymous said...

Well--------------I better not say anything because I want to see my Grandkids again!

BigOrangeDog said...

I have been wanting a leg lamp for years. I would put it up all year 'round, no question! (But my entire house is full of tacky vintage stuff, including a giant Wiener Mobile and a large metal 1970s peacock wall hanging.) I say go for it!
Jen

Anonymous said...

WELL?! What's the verdict?! Does the leg lamp go in the window?! Maybe just for its one day of glory? Maybe just for an hour while you watch the movie?! Inquiring mind want to know! After all, we don't have anything else to do a week before Christmas but check back for the answer to this burning question!! ;-)

David and Laurel said...

Well since this debate has been going on for over a year now, you obviously know my view. I think it would be great. And I think it would be funny in my window, except that I don't have the right window...