Wednesday, December 17, 2008

shhhh...it's private!

One of the bloggers I follow, recently wrote a post about a topic that I thought was prudent: Privacy. Her post was reactive, because her privacy had already been breached. Fortunately, my post is proactive, so don't take it personal. It isn't directed at anyone in particular. Consider it an FYI, or a friendly reminder. I fully supported her view, and it was a good reminder to me, so I felt it was worth mentioning.

Privacy: each blogger has his or her own standard. Blogs can be completely private, and by invitation only; some are public, but not available to search engines; Some use no names or identifying information; Some use fictitious names; Some use first names only; Some use full names and identifying information. It all depends on what the blogger and his or her family is comfortable publishing on the Internet.

The standard of the blogger I spoke of is first-name-only. It seems, though, that other bloggers, who know her personally, were using her last name on their blogs, or in links back to her blog. Most likely it was innocently done, but the fact remains that this is a big blogging faux pas.

I cannot promise that I have never violated anyone's privacy, but I don't believe I have. Personally, I try to only use last names on my blog in these three situations:
  1. You regularly use your last name on your own blog. For example, if your blog is titled, "The ______ Family Blog".
  2. If I have the your permission to use your last name.
  3. If I use it as a term of respect, whereby saying "Mr. _______" is the equivalent of using your first name, and the post is general enough that you are not identifiable to the general public.
Since I have a number of relatives and personal friends who are bloggers, or who respond with welcomed comments, please remember that I have a first-name-only standard for my blog. I also only identify my location with vague geographic references. Please remember to respect my standards of privacy (as well as all others of the blogging community) if you are to ever mention me or my family members in your blog, or when leaving comments on my blog.
Again, this hasn't been a problem, so this isn't directed "at" anyone. It is just a proactive and friendly reminder of some blogging etiquette... and, a reminder to myself, as well!

No comments: