Tuesday, November 3, 2015

band legacy

I was not in my school band, but I wish I would have been.  So, I'm a very proud Band Dad.  And that's why I'm tickled that another of my children has joined the school band!

In our school system, band is an option beginning in fifth grade, and Lily decided to follow in her two older brother's footsteps and give band a try.  She is more literally following in Zach's footsteps... also choosing the trumpet as her instrument.  That can make for some competition or camaraderie between the two middles... time will tell how it goes with two trumpets in the house!

I am confident she will do well.  Her fourth grade class learned to play the recorder in music class and the teacher had a "karate belt" recognition theme.  Throughout the school year, as they performed increasingly complex songs, they got a colored yarn "belt" tied around the bell of their recorder.  Lily was one of only three students who achieved all the way to black belt and asked for more.  The teacher had to make up some other belts for her... she has a glitter belt and a few other fun ones.  Her music teacher also recognized her at the fourth grade Grandparent's Day performance for her determination and her self-driven efforts to compensate for her limb difference.  With that determination, I'm sure she will master the trumpet!

Lily is a black belt and beyond recorder master!

I'm looking forward to her debut 5th grade concert later this school year and hoping she stays with band for the rest of her school career.  Go Lily!


No comments: