Saturday, November 21, 2015

trumpet with honors

Again this year, Zachary applied and was chosen for the OMEA District 5 Middle School Honors Band.  The Middle School Honors Band is comprised of select 7th and 8th grade band students from school systems across three counties, who come together for a concert performance at the historic Stambaugh Auditorium.  They meet just three times: Wednesday evening at an area high school for position tryouts and rehearsal; all day Friday at Stambaugh for rehearsal; then, a Saturday morning rehearsal followed by an afternoon concert.

This year, there were 22 trumpets in the band.  Zachary's audition netted him the position of 1st trumpet, 7th chair.  I was very proud of this!  However, Zachary's reaction: "I could've done better without these stupid braces".  Unfortunately, braces and trumpets are not very compatible.  He has learned to adapt, but his note range suffers a little.  And, that's not all that suffers... with the hours of rehearsal, his lips took a beating between the braces and the brass mouthpiece.  He takes it in stride... he loves blowing that horn!

Zachary (dark hair, white shirt, black tie, just left of center)

I took Lily and my parents with me to the concert, but we almost didn't make it.  I knew there was construction on the interstate, but Jen said there were no backups yesterday morning when she took him to rehearsal.  I figured if it wasn't backed up on a Friday morning, we'd have no problems on a Saturday afternoon.  No such luck!  Part way there, we encountered 3 lanes of this...


... miles of bumper-to bumper traffic as three lanes merged into one.  My stress levels increased as I watched minutes tick away as I crept through traffic at an I-can-walk-faster-than-this pace, fearing I would miss my son's performance that he had worked so hard for.  At my first opportunity, I exited and took an alternate route.  We arrived at Stambaugh... I dropped my passengers at the door, parked the car, jogged across the parking lot, and settled into a balcony seat just as the conductor began the first piece!  That was close!



Stambaugh Auditorium is a very majestic concert hall.  It is an honor for these students to play in such a venue.  And, both years I have attended, they have delivered a performance worthy of Stambaugh.  I was amazed at the talent of these young musicians.  I am thankful for band directors, like our own Mrs. C, who instill a love and appreciation for music, and who pour time end energy into refining the talent of these kids.  Events like today have to be very proud moments for our area band directors.

The guest conductor for this year's Middle School group was Dr. William Ciabattari, Director of Instrumental Ensembles and the Music Department Chair at Lycoming College in Williamsport, Pennsylvania.  He shared with the audience how he stresses the importance of his college students playing chamber music, which is small instrumental ensembles.  He spoke of how it is sometimes easy for musicians to "hide" behind the large band or orchestra, but small groups of chamber music forces them to refine their talent and it builds their confidence as musicians.  He shared how he stressed this message to the students and taught them that they really have learned a lot about music in their short career and they are often capable of more than they realize.  To reinforce this message, he introduced a piece titled Activity March, composed by Harold Bennett.  He told the audience that he had confidence in the abilities of the students and he was going to prove how capable they were by starting the piece and then walking off the podium, leaving them to play the entire piece without a conductor.  He did just that, and they did not disappoint!  It was a very cool concert moment and a very valuable lesson for these kids!

Zachary, today was a proud Dad day!  I am proud of your music abilities and I am glad you push yourself with opportunities like this.  Hopefully, on to High School Honors Band next year!

Here is a friend's video of one of the Middle School Honors Band selections, titled Revenge of the Dust Bunnies, composed by Dan Adams.  The piece showcases the student's serious talent, while performing a not-so-serious rendition. Enjoy!

2 comments:

The Father of Five said...

Do I smell a "scholarship" in this young lad's future?? (Fingers crossed).

As a side note - Braces are why we have no one playing trumpets in our house. Our band directed noticed my son's teeth and asked if we were planning braces for him (we were). The band director discouraged him, and finally dissuaded him from that instrument.

Jeff said...

Scholarship would be nice, but most band scholarships are not very significant.

That is unfortunate the the band director dissuaded him. Zachary wanted to play the trumpet (though I tried to dissuade him and push him toward percussion, since I had already invested in the starter instrument kit for his older brother). He loves the trumpet and I don't think he would excel as he has if he were not pursuing the instrument he loves. He went through an "I quit" week when he first got his braces, then his determination caused him to pick up the horn and figure out how to push through the inconvenience.